Here is a compilation of the most frequently asked questions we receive about becoming a live-in carer.

How quickly can a live-in carer start work?

After you have successful completed a formal interview and before you begin work as a live-in carer, we need to follow up with your references. It may speed their return if you forewarn your referees that we will be contacting them.

We also process Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Disclosures for each live-in carer.

Once we have completed our checks you will be ready to start work as soon as the client agrees a start date. We take great care in matching our carers to our clients and the start date can depend on when we find the right placement, but normally this is within a week or two.

What happens at the live-in care interview?

Trinity aims to make your live-in care interview as quick and easy as possible whilst making sure you are of the highest standards that we expect as a live-in care agency. When you come for your interview it is important to bring with you all the relevant paperwork as detailed in our recruitment section.

You will be interviewed by one of our live-in Care Mangers, who will thoroughly check your paperwork and ask you questions to understand your skills, interests and personal objectives in order to get a broad understanding of who you are and what type of client would be a good match with you.

What should I bring to my live-in care interview?

Please ensure you bring the following itesm to your live-in care interview:

1. Proof of identification & eligibility to work in the UK

  • Passport/s, EU identity card, or photographic driving license
  • Proof of eligibility to work in the UK (e.g. visa for non EU passport holders)
  • Proof of address in the UK (e..g bank, credit carrd statement or utility bill less than 3 months old)
  • Birth certificate
  • National insurance number (e.g. card or job centre letter or payslip stating the number)
  • Valid driving licence. For UK licenses this is both your paper counterpart and the photocard. Alternatively your foreign license allowing you to drive in the UK (with your original International license)

2. Details of your Skills & Experience

  • Your full CV covering an up to date full working history
  • Documentation to support your application, for example, letters of reference and qualification certificates

3. Cash of Card to support your DBS application

  • £63.20 to pay for your Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) Disclosure and an Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) Audit First check.
  • Any previously issued CRB Disclosure certificate/ police clearance if applicable

What happens if I am applying from overseas?

The majority of our live-in care assistants are from overseas from countries including Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Continental Europe. In fact many of our central support team are previous live-in care assistants themselves so you are in good hands!!!!

We are experts an managing the recruitment process from abroad using technology like Skype to hold initial face to face introductory interview.

Will I have enough live-in care work?

Trinity have a significant number of live-in clients and endeavors to offer live-in carers as much work as they wish for. We have new live-in clients starting on a weekly basis.

Carers with several years care related experience are particularly popular. Regrettably there is less demand for male live-in carers, as most of our clients express a specific request for female carers.

Many of our clients want a live-in carer with a clean driving license to support them in getting to their favorite places.

How often will I work?

Trinity have clients requiring different support from short term relief over a weekend to allow fellow carers to take some time off, to clients wanting a live-in carer to commit for several weeks. We recognize you have your own plans as well and will aim to offer work that takes account of your other commitments.

We normally ask our live-in carers to commit to a minimum of 6 weeks for longer term placements.

Where will I work?

We have live-in clients throughout England, but most are within 2 hours of London. Some are based in the city and some are in the lovely English coutryside.

For consistent work and the greatest consideration for bookings, live-in carers should be prepared to travel anywhere in the UK.

Where will I live when not on a booking?

Live-in carers must have somewhere to stay when not working.

Unfortunately Trinity cannot be responsible for finding you accommodation or for any difficulties you may experience between bookings. It is not possible to ‘stay on’ with Clients after your booking finishes.

What will I be expected to do whilst on a booking?

Live-in carer duties vary from client to client and your level of experience but may include personal care, supervision of medication, domestic chores, cooking and companionship. Nursing tasks such as wound care, injections, suppositories and the like are not services Trinity provide.

All live-in carers are fully briefed about the client before accepting the booking.

Clients often have a car that they want the live-in carer to drive on their behalf but it is essential that live-in carers in these bookings hold a valid driving license and that the client arranges for the appropriate insurance cover.

Carers work an averaged ten to twelve hour day (not necessarily consecutive hours) but must always be on hand to help the Client if needed.

At the end of the booking the outgoing Carer updates the incoming Carer on the Client’s needs and routine etc. in a handover.

What happens if a live-in carer or client is unhappy with a booking?

If there are difficulties with a booking or a clash of personalities between live-in carer and client, either party should contact Trinity and a replacement live-in carer can be introduced as soon as possible . It is important to remember though that sometimes there can be some early settling down issues and our highly experienced live-in care managers can help you work through this.

Live-in carers should never leave a booking until a replacement arrives and a proper handover has taken place.

In the highly unlikely event that a client asks a live-carer to leave their premises immediately you should do so but please call our office/on-call team immediately for advice. Also contact the next of kin if your client will otherwise be left alone.

What living accommodation does the client provide?

A separate clean and comfortable bedroom, sometimes with an en suite bathroom.

The client will meet the cost of the room and three meals a day and will make no charge for gas, electricity etc. However you should never make private calls or connect your laptop to the Internet using the client’s telephone line without clear written permission. Many clients have wi-fi or broadband and will allow you to use it but please be mindful of additional costs if download parameters exist.

Live-in carers must never invite their own friends and family into the client’s home.

How much time off does a live-in carer get?

There are no specified hours of work but the average number of hours a live-in carer works in any 24 hour period is between 10 – 12 hours. Trinity requests that the client ensures that the carer has adequate rest breaks and allows the carer a uninterupted break of 2 hours a day during which time the carer is entitled to rest or sleep in private or leave the premises (respite cover during this 2 hours period may be required).

We also request that the carer gets 8 hours uninterrupted sleep a night.

I have little or no care experience. Could I be a successful live-in carer?

Caring is a very satisfying vocation for hundreds of thousands of people. Some simply enjoy helping others and take the physical and emotional demands of a care job in their stride, others have their hearts in the right place but realise that the work may be beyond them. To be a successful live-in carer you need the right maturity and passion for the task. You also need the presence of mind to deal with changing and sometimes demanding situations. (See carer testimonials)

Most of our clients are elderly and many are confused or in poor health so you must be capable of patience and good humour at all times. You will be a genuinely compassionate person; always dependable and with plenty of common sense. There is no upper age limit to becoming a Trinity live-in carer but you should be energetic and fit enough to, for example, assist your clients with bathing or to push them in their wheelchair.

You must be prepared to put your social life on hold for the duration of your bookings. You should be a reasonable cook (or be ready to invest in an English cook book!) You must be happy to do housework and laundry and to keep the home you are staying in clean and tidy. More experienced carers must be prepared to undertake personal care such as helping people to wash, dress and use the toilet.

You must understand, speak and write English very well.

Inexperienced Carers will initially be allocated ‘companionship roles.

Does a live-in carer require a driving licence?

Many of our clients own their own cars and may ask you to drive them to visit friends or to the shops, for example. Consequently we have very little work for live-in carers who cannot drive.

If you are from overseas you may be able to use your own driving licence for a year after entry into the UK or to secure an international driving licence. If you intend to remain in the UK for any length of time, we would suggest that you change to a UK driving licence.

How old must I be to be a live-in carer?

Most of our clients prefer live-in carers over the age of 25 but we consider anyone over the age of 18 with relevant experience. If the client requires their live-in carer to drive, then they may seek someone with more driving experience who is cheaper to insure on their car insurance.

Do live-in carers need to have a criminal record check or police check?

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) formed from the merger of the Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) on 1 December 2012. The primary role of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is to help employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups such as the elderly.

We require all live-in carers to complete an online disclosure application form whilst at our offices. If you already have an enhanced Disclosure please bring it to your interview. Enhanced CRB’s are transferable/ portable within 3 months of the issue date.

If coming to Trinity from overseas, it is advisable to obtain a police check from that country.

Can a live-in carer smoke?

Anti-smoking legislation does not apply to workplaces that are private dwellings but we ask clients who smoke to come to a suitable compromise so that carers are not exposed to the dangers of passive smoking.

In fact, most clients do not smoke and live-in carers are usually asked not to smoke in their homes.

Most clients request there is no smoking on their premises.

What is the dress code for a live-in carer?

Live-in carers are requested to dress in a smart casual fashion. We advise you take some neat professional outfits with you should you need to accompany your client to their social clubs, a concert, the theatre or a family event. For every day wear you will need comfortable clothes and sensible shoes.

What advice can you offer job applicants living outside the UK?

Live-in care work with Trinity offers a great opportunity to see Britain and Europe while earning good money to pay for it all.

You will need to prove to us that you have the right to work in the UK before we can begin to look for work on your behalf. Therefore, if you are from another country and thinking of finding work in Britain please ensure you meet all the necessary requirements before you apply and that you prepare fully before you leave your home country.

The main requirement for all overseas applicants is that they can speak and understand English to a high standard. This is particularly true for live-in carers as you work for clients in their own homes. Our clients are mostly elderly and often have short term memory loss, hard of hearing or mobility problems with complicated needs. Sometimes they live a long way from their families and the live-in carer is their only regular link with the world. It is important that our clients can hold a conversation and relate to the person who is living in their home.

Before you apply it will also help to have a valid EU, UK, International or other valid driving licence; and a valid UK visa (if applicable). Room and board is provided when you are working as a live-in carer but bear in mind that you will need somewhere to stay between bookings.

What daily rate will be paid to introduced live-in carers?

If you work under our introductory service you will work as self-employed as we can only recommend rates. It is ultimately for you to agree these with the client. In order to attract the best live-in carers we recommend to clients that daily rates for companionship start at £75, personal care at £80 and specialist care at up to £100 per day.

Additional payments are normally made for Public and Bank Holidays, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. Live-in carers also recieve free room and board with their client when on a booking and return travel expenses from London zone 1 when starting a live-in care position.

As a self employed Carer you are paid directly by the Client, usually by cheque once a week.

Under our Managed live-in care service we employ live-in carers. Our pay rates and terms and conditions are highly competitive and will be discussed at interview and set out in writing in any job offer we make.

Do live-in carers require a bank account?

Live-in carers are typically paid by cheque so you will need to have a UK bank account.

What is the employment status of live-in carers?

Under our Introductory service, live-in carers are classed as self-employed and are responsible for their own Income Tax and National Insurance contributions under self assessment.

Live-in carers whom we introduce only should be aware that as a self employed person they are responsible for organising their own employment and work pattern through Trinity.

Under our Managed care service, live-in carers are employees of Trinity and we deduct taxes and national insurance contributions at source under Paye as You Earn (PAYE).

How do you source your live-in carers?

Many of our live-in carers come through recommendation. We also advertise in a number of reputable publications. All our live-in carers go through a rigorous MatchCare process that includes both a telephone/Skype and face to face interview. We also ask alll live-in carers to complete an online attitude and job fit questionnaire. We carry out full document checks, take full references and complete enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service checkS including an adult first check.

All our live-in carers speak fluent English and come from many parts of the world including Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Continental Europe and the UK.

If you enjoy helping others, then take the first step to becoming a Trinity live-in carer and apply online today.