Important: Trinity Live-in Care - Your safest option during COVID-19

If you are an hourly care worker you can tell HMRC about employment expenses you have had to pay during the year for which tax relief is due. This may include mileage expenses and an allowance for the maintenance and cleaning of your uniform.

You may be entitled to a reduction in the tax you have to pay

  • To complete this claim you should fill out Form P87.
  • Only fill in Form P87 if your allowable expenses are less than £2,500 for the year.
  • If your claim is more than £2,500 you will need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return.
  • Please contact the Self Assessment Helpline on 0300 200 3310 or register at

You must fill in a separate P87 for each employment for which you are claiming and for each tax year.

If you have not paid any tax during the year no refund will be due. Further guidance on completing this form can be found by clicking the ‘How to fill in this form’ button at the top of the page at Form P87.

If you work for Trinity Homecare, we will give you the information you need to make a claim.  We have created a-guide-for-claiming-tax-relief-on-expenses-of-employment-fy2015-16 to make this as simple as possible for our hourly care workers.

Disclaimer: Trinity Homecare and its affiliates do not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. The information provided on this website is of a general nature. It is not a substitute for specific advice in your own circumstances.

We recommend you obtain specific professional advice from a professional adviser. Whilst we endeavour to use reasonable efforts to provide accurate, complete, reliable, error free and up-to-date information, we do not warrant that it is such.

The information can only provide an overview of the regulations in force at the date of publication, and no action should be taken without consulting the detailed legislation or seeking professional advice.