Important: Our staff our vaccinated- Find out how we are keeping our clients and workers safe during COVID-19 

The NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding (CHC Funding)

Could the NHS pay for your home care? Many people wrongly pay out for their care fees because they don’t know about a  little-known funding stream called NHS Continuing Healthcare.

If full time care is required, and your primary need is health, all of your care fees could be paid for by the government. It can be a complex process to apply for the funding and as might be imagined, there’s a fair amount of red tape but there are specialist advisors who can help you through the process and work out whether or not you are eligible. Appointing a specialist advisor and expert financial planner can help ease the burden of worrying about your finances at a time where you might be feeling confused and emotionally drained. However, if you decide to appoint such an expert, make sure they’re authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and have obtained a dedicated long-term care qualification. For added reassurance, they should also be Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checked (previously CRB), and therefore cleared to guide vulnerable people through a potentially challenging process.

The advisor will hold a face-to-face meeting to assess the situation thoroughly from both a care and a financial perspective and then make a call as to whether you could be eligible for the funding. If not they could also offer other alternatives to funding that you didn’t know about. For example, you may be eligible for the Attendance Allowance which is neither taxed nor means tested and is available to anyone aged over 65 who has needed care with essential daily tasks for longer than six months. Its equivalent for younger adults is Personal Independence Payments (formerly known as Disability Living Allowance) which is awarded to those under 65.

For more information and guidance about stay at home care, give us a call, we’d be happy to help.